How many of you out there have hidden your feelings to protect the feelings of someone you love?
I definitely have and find myself doing it a lot of the time. My thought process is:-
- I will get over it, why cause a fuss?
- Expressing my feelings will inflict emotional pain on someone else, why should two of us be upset?
- It doesn’t matter! is that a disguise for i don’t matter?
- Expressing my feelings won’t make the situation better. Yes it will, for you.
I understand that some things are better off not told or telling will exacerbate the situation but you will never really know what would happen till you try. What are the boundaries? When do you draw the line and say ‘hey! you know my feelings do matter and I am going to tell you how I feel and I don’t care if the situation becomes worse!’
Most of the time I know when and when not to say something but knowing doesn’t change anything because I still choose to not say anything to protect the other person. Does that person keep things from me to protect me? I will never know.
It is complicated and the answer is cloudy. This problem won’t be a problem at all for some personalities and I don’t know whether that is a good or bad thing, do they say too much and make situations much worse for themselves?
Should I learn to express myself? Will it change the quality of my life for the better?
Communication is always encouraged and I honestly believe it can solve a lot of problems but I don’t think this is that simple. You can’t ever know the result of two different choices relating to the same situation, so I can’t say one is better than the other.
I guess an educated guess is my best bet, what does everyone else do?
5 things I am grateful for today:
- My grandmother – she is just adorable and I love her to death.
- Cafes that are flexible with their menus – I have been a vegetarian for a really long time and am now venturing into veganism (really difficult at times), cafes with flexible menus make my life so much easier.
- To be alive – I am not in the best mood today but thinking of life’s simplicity makes it better.
- Nature – today the sun is shining like it is never going to set.
- Vegan Ice-cream – there is an Italian ice cream place near my house, it sells vegan and non-vegan gelato, it is absolutely delicious.