2017 came before I had the chance to accept its coming. That’s the thing with time, it waits for no one. Last year was a year of experiences for me, great adventures however if I don’t sit down and really think, I can’t remember the good times, only the bad. Why is that?
I like to think I am a realist, a person that knows that life isn’t perfect and it never will be but with a positive mindset and attitude even the worst of situations can be seen in a new light. Despite this, looking back, 2016 seems muggy.
17 days into 2017, many hurdles have been thrown at me. Some I was mentally prepared for and others that have caught me off guard. I have decided that I don’t want 2017 to be muggy or unclear when I look back. I know it is going to be a difficult year regarding different aspects of my life but I also know that I am the only thing standing in the way of it being great. My choices and intentions will determine how I feel about this year. In preparation of creating a great year I have decided to list 5 things I am grateful for everyday right here. To be appreciative of all I have regardless of the downfalls and to make small changes.
Maya Angelou said
‘If you don’t like something change it, if you can’t change it, change your attitude’.
I hope to stick by those words.
Five things I am grateful for today:
- Silence and space – an empty silent house where I feel free physically and mentally.
- Books – I never used to like reading as a child but as an adult I truly appreciate the wisdom they can bring.
- Martin Cooper: Inventor of mobile phones in 1983 – how he has transformed this world, I am grateful that I can be in contact with the people who matter in my life even though we are apart.
- Nature – I think nature will always be on this list.
- My upbringing – no parent is perfect but I know my parents did their best and I am thankful to be who I am today because of them.